American Buses

Locomotives, waggons, trucks, buses...
ClaudeJ

Re: American Buses

#26 Post by ClaudeJ » 21 May 2020, 19:15

Maybe something to try and trick the game:
- go offline with Steam.
- in the workshop folder, create a folder named whatever you want (temp, holding cell...).
- In it, you will move all the mod folders. As they are now in a subfolder, they are out of reach for the game.

If you do have mods in your user folder and in the staging area: rinse and repeat, but the DMA buses mod folder, obviously.

I'll check the mod you mentioned.

Thanks for your patience spinmaster. I know it's a PITA when all you want is to have a good time and mods are acting up.

spinmaster

#27 Post by spinmaster » 21 May 2020, 23:56

I should mention I'm a DBA - troubleshooting bizarre things, including navigating an app's file system, sifting scripts in an unfamiliar language, and trying to figure out what workarounds do something good and which just piss the app off... par for the course. And thank you for helping this far.

I've gone further than you suggested; got the game to a state of believing I've never even started it (blew away profile and settings - as expected, it wrote clean default ones, and my music is back on at full-blast), and far as it knows the only mod that exists in the entire universe is this one (pulled all mods out of the game's path except this one, and backed-up and cleared out the workshop manifest - so it doesn't look for what I moved out - all with Steam offline of course). Still doesn't show up in the American vehicle set, does in the European set.

It's not a mod, at least not currently. Obviously not this one at all or I wouldn't be the only one whining. I'm thinking a core file (i.e. somewhere under \common\Transport Fever 2) got whacked, maybe - disturbingly if true - by a script mod. It could even be one I uninstalled 5 minutes after subscribing it, once the damage was done it was done. Though I'm not seeing any core lua files with an odd date, they all seemingly coincide with official updates (or my original TF2 install back in December).

I'm thinking I'll have to reinstall, but ... then re-subscribing to 200+ mods, especially since there seems to be no way to export a list of them by-name (the id's won't help me find them in the workshop again)... trying to think of a workaround that won't piss Steam off. I know I can move the files and wipe the manifest; so I'm sure I can do the reverse after a reinstall - move the files back in and restore the complete manifest. One problem: if metadata about what items I've subscribed to is in fact stored server-side, and I'd be surprised if that's not the case at least to some extent, I'll probably end up giving myself a bigger headache. Got any ideas in that arena?

ClaudeJ

#28 Post by ClaudeJ » 22 May 2020, 00:24

A technique I found quite useful when I had to reinstall was to create a collection that contained nothing but the mods I subscribed to.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1973541115

BUT...

Before that, there's maybe something else you could try :
- move your dma_US_Buses_1 folder to your .\Transport Fever 2\mods folder.

I can't really explain why but that solved an issue I had on my previous install with a mod not showing up.

I'll check around if someone has a solution to the issue you are facing.

Cheers

spinmaster

#29 Post by spinmaster » 22 May 2020, 01:45

Of course... after all that... the one thing with a specific readme file saying "don't do this" ... works. :rofl2:

Yep, they're showing up now, with any vehicle set, as expected.

I can't even think of a plausible reason why, but I'll take it. Thanks!

If you come up with any theories, lemme know, I'll be happy to try 'em out... since apparently my setup is a tad hosed anyway.

ClaudeJ

#30 Post by ClaudeJ » 22 May 2020, 02:15

My theory is that the mods there have some sort of higher priority over the mods from the other folders (they would be loaded "last").

Glad it works mate, drive safe now ;)